Saturday, October 5, 2013

Become Strong

I really love strength training. Anyone who knows me, knows that. Why do I love it? There are many reasons. Jim Wendler put it well: Train to be awesome. 

There is so much more to it. It gives me confidence: If I feel like I am failing at everything (school, friendships, time management, work, etc), I can train and feel way more confident. Pretty much, it puts me into this mind set: if I can training for this long, for this hard and become capable of the feats I do in the gym, I do anything. If I can lift double my body weight off the floor, I can get a B on my exam. If I can train for hours to become as strong as I am, I can study hours for that exam so that I am knowledgeble enough to rock that exam.

It makes me more knowledgable. I am planning on going into the physical therapy field. I want to know how to lift things properly so I can stay healthy. Guess how I do that? I research a ton of information, and experient on myself. It helps me to understand how the body reacts to certain things.

It just a ton of stinkin' fun. If you lift how I lift, you'll likely become an addict to iron. Lifting heavy stuff rocks. Movement in and of itself is fun. Movement with heavy things (or in a difficult way, such as gymnastics) is even more fun. If your training isn't fun, you're doing it wrong or have the wrong mind set. (Hint: I've yet to find anyone who actually enjoys treadmills and ellipticals. Hit the weights.)

It makes me strong. Duh, it's strength training. Being strong not only rock is sports, injury prevention, a looks (if you care about looks), it also helps you help people. Helping people has got to be one of the most sadisfiying things out there...especially if they return the favor with pie... but for real, if you're helping someone who is moving, being strong sure helps. If you're helping someone get some wood ready for the winter, being strong helps. If you're going to do anything physically taxing, being strong helps.

Now, on to a more serious note. As many of you know, I had a rough senior year of high school. I had several friends pass away within 6 months. There were also a few personal things going on that I don't care to share. To sum it up: it was hard. I had plenty of friends and family to support me and a great God to talk to and seek wisdom through... but God also gave me strength training. Strength training taught me to push through things, even if they sucked. It taught me you don't get anywhere by sitting there wishing you could had done better: you have to get up and do it. Dominate it. That could be your emotions, your life struggles, your stress, your anxiety, your school or just your stinkin' workout. Training teaches you to persevere, even when the going gets rough.

You know what? To me, it sounds like strength training make you strong. Not only physically, but emotionally and mentally. Now, become strong.



No comments:

Post a Comment