Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Arms For Jumping!

Everyone should know that you use your arms (not only your legs) when jumping. I knew this, but I was just wondering to myself randomly a few minutes ago: how much do the arms aid in my jumping! Here's what I did:

First I went on our scale. I weighed in at 162 pounds. I then tried throwing my arms up as fast and hard as I could. I used no leg movement and very little core movement. I repeated this process for a bit to see if I could improve on my numbers. As I threw my hands in the air, I closely observed the scale.

I'd say that the average weight I took off at the peak of my arm swing was about 65-70 pounds, and my "record" was a little over 80 pounds. That means that because I weigh 162 pounds, and I peaked at -80 pounds, I nearly cut my weight in half by just swinging my arms! Obviously my legs, hips and core can generate more force than my arm swing, but I found it pretty interesting that my arm swing took off half my weight. So, all I need to with my legs is generate 80 pounds of force (pretty easy) and I could lift myself off (barely) the ground.

This is totally random, but I found it interesting, hope you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment