Friday, December 28, 2012

Maxed Out

My home weights' maximum is 165 pounds, 215 if you add my ankle weights to the bar. Today I planned on doing power cleans and other similar exercises, but because I have not read in detail of the proper form of power cleans (which I plan to soon), I only did deadlifts. At the school gym I was deadlifting 225 pounds with a mixed grip for 4 sets of 5 reps. I was using 45 pound plates, which brought the bar higher on my legs, so the range of motion was less than if I used my home weights (25 pounders). It is ideal if the weights are 45 pounders because that range of motion makes it much harder to lose proper form, which is the most important part of lifting. Because I am just a weep bit flexible, I could maintain a straight back while deadlifting with my 25 pound plates. I warmed up with a set of 5x60 pounds, then 5x110, 5x140, 5x160, 5x175 and finally 3x205. Once I finished my warmup I did 215 for 5 reps for 5 sets. Thus I maxed out my home weights. I could do more reps, but with fatigue I risk losing good form and them risk injuring myself. I personally don't think anyone should deadlift for much more than 8-10 reps per set.

So what should I use now? I should not just consider myself done with pulling weights off the floor. You know what? I'm going to get more into my reading and learn the power clean! That's an exercise that I'm pretty sure I could do well at once I know how to do it. I've read that the power clean also has great carryover to track and field because it's an explosive movement. If that's the case, then I have yet another reason to work on power cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment