Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Biking Along...

Yesterday my mom was working, Shannon had class, and my dad had a doctors appointment. I could have gone with my dad to get a ride to Leavitt, but I would have had to leave two hours early and I didn't really want to do that. Instead I biked to Leavitt. Leavitt is 10 miles from my house. That's not too bad, but it was pretty hilly, and there is a sketchy bridge I had to cross.

The first mile was pretty tough; it was all hills, I was fresh, so I thought big gears would be fine. They made it much harder than it had to be, and my legs weren't used to biking yet. The next part was route 202. 202 is pretty much a mini highway. I had to cross it. Luckily it wasn't that busy at 1:15pm. From there to the Greene-Turner bridge it was pretty hilly, but nothing I couldn't handle.

The bridge is kinda sketchy... in a car. Let alone on foot. I couldn't bike across because of the tread on the bridge was really bumpy and had kind of wide gaps so I would have destroyed my tires. I didn't want to be on the bridge when a car drove over it, so I ran across it. My legs were a bit shaky from biking. Trying biking 7 miles then running, and you'll see what I mean. Luckily I ran across it before any cars went across. Then I continued biking. The last 3 miles were a bit easier. A few small hills, but mainly flat ground. I arrived there just before 2pm. I left around 1:15pm. So I figured I biked it in 45 minutes. I did the math and I biked an average of 13.3... miles per hour. I thought that was pretty good because last year my record of biking to Leavitt was 55 minutes, which is an average of 10.9 miles per hour. When I did that my quads were nearly numb, this time they actually weren't that bad. I just lacked energy.

Practice started at 2:30 so I had a pretty good rest time. It was sunny, so just relaxed and drank water to rehydrate. At 2:30 we did our 15 minute warm up (probably like 1.5 or 1.75 miles), stretched, then did our workouts. I had the option to run 8 400s at a 1:15 pace and cut off one second off every run or 3x100, 3x60 and 6x30. I chose of the latter. It was much easier, and I was already tired. The workout wasn't that hard, but I got small headache, probably from lack of oxygen. After I finished I talked to the trainer again, got some strengthening exercises for my rotator cuff, and he also told me that for my hamstring I should just work on flexibility more. Once I was satisfied with what I got from him, I refilled my now empty water bottle. After drinking some water we gathered up the distance runners and the sprinters to do core. We went through a deck of cards doing pushups, crunches, and leg lifts. Wasn't too hard, but got a good burn.

After core I was getting ready to bike home, but Lucy (a caption on my team) pretty much insisted that she give me a ride to Greene. Because she did, my ride was 3 miles shorter. Which was pretty awesome because I was already pretty tired. It took a little over 35 minutes from there to get home.

When I arrived at home all I really wanted to do was sit there and eat... but Colleen said I smelled really bad so I had to shower first. I then had a protein/frozen-banana shake. Which was pretty amazing.

Overall, I'd say it was a productive day at track... and today we'll play Ultimate if the weather isn't too bad! Even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment