Tuesday, May 22, 2012

It's All Fun and Games Until Something Clicks

Yesterday I had a pretty funny meet. It was the Mt. Ararat Non-Qualifier. So pretty much if you already automatically qualified you can't compete. I really wanted to try and qualify for for States in something like the 100 meter dash. So coach signed me up for the 200m, the 400m, the 100m, and shot put for the fun of it. I'm automatically qualified in the 200m and the 400m so I was disqualified in those right away. It was still iffy if I could compete in my other events: the 100m and the shot put. I did shot put. I wasn't 'caught' yet.

I threw the first one like a football. My shoulder felt a tad weird but nothing too bad. I did the rest of my throws and my best throw was 25' 4". It was kind of funny. I was probably one of the few fit guys there... and almost all of them were bigger than me. That pretty much was my 'just-for-the-fun-of-it' event. Little for I know my first throw wasn't very good for my shoulder, but I didn't feel it yet.

Right after I finished throwing, they called the 100 meter dash... had they caught me yet? I'll find out soon enough. When I signed up, my name wasn't on the list... I was caught. So I was pretty much done for the day. I talked to coach with Lucy, Maddie and Jordan because they too, couldn't compete. We decided to go on a 3 mile trail run and then do some stride outs. It was pretty fun! We actually got kind of lost. Ended up in a local neighborhood once. Ran to some kind of private construction site, but just turned around there. It was pretty fun getting lost. We eventually found our way out, and realized we haven't ran 3 miles yet, so we went back I and explored some more. Didn't get as lost this time.

After a little rest and saying hi to friends we did our stride outs which are like slow sprints with extra long strides. That was kind of nice after we finished. Felt stretched out.

I talked to the Wrights, Caleb and some team members of mine for a while. Then did some core. Which pretty much was just plank variations. Jackie on team said I did them for 5 or 6 minutes. I'm not sure if I did, because it seemed too easy for that much time. I did do 2 or 3 'Norman-pushups'. Which pretty much was a pushup with Noah (we call him Norman) on my back. That was pretty tough, but funny! Norman is only around 90 pounds, so it wasn't *too* hard.

Before I did core, I noticed my shoulder felt a bit odd. I did some rotations after core and then my shoulder clicked... almost every rotation. It still felt weird. Not really painful, but just like something was out of place... my shoulder still clicks.

After core I hung out and joked with my team, cheered on people, and got ready to go.

I left with my family. My shoulder still clicked. So I decided to ice it when I got home and then I'll go see the trainer next time he's at Leavitt. I'm hoping he'll be at Leavitt today so I can talk to him. Let's just say I'm not going to be shot putting again...

No comments:

Post a Comment