Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bench It!

I never have had a weight bench, so I never bench pressed much. Bench pressing isn't that grand, but it'd be nice to do it some. I kind of gave up on benching because Smith Machines were the only safe benching system I had access to. Dumbbells were too wobbly for my weak shoulder, so I couldn't do those either. I did pushups instead. I haven't gone heavy with pushups in while, because I was still letting my shoulder heal. It's feeling much better now, and so I'm going to slowly get pushing movements back into my training.

Anyway, back to the plot! I also wanted a bench so that I can use the rack on the bench to do semi-heavy squats. The reason I couldn't do this before is because to get the weight from the floor, to over my head and on to my shoulders with a heavy weight was pretty much impossible and dangerous. With a rack (about 4-4.5 feet off the ground) I could just bend over, put my shoulders under the bar and grip it. flex my back, and lift. There we go, I now I have a weight on my shoulders! I might have to strengthen my back to go heavy, but that's fine, because I want to strengthen my back anyway! But I still need a bench.

Guess what? I now have a bench. How? My friend: Mr. Donahue. He was at his local 'transfer station'. He was at the part where people put perfectly fine things, but they just don't want it anymore. He saw a weight bench and thought of me and grabbed it! He called my dad and then we arranged to meet yesterday afternoon. We picked it up, had a short visit with the Donahues (that's really rare, usually it turns into at least a hour), and headed home! I was excited. When we got home I had to do some other chores before I set in up. I finally got to set it up, and took off a small part of it because of the limited space in my room. I cleaned my room and rearranged part of it. My room is much cleaner, but kind of smaller now. But that's fine! I got a bench! I'm pretty pumped about this. Incase a Donahue reads this: Thank you Mr. Donahue!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment