Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Allagash Time!

Tomorrow evening I'm leaving with a bunch of awesome people on a trip to the Allagash! We're planning on canoeing the whole thing I believe. We did that last year. If not, we'd do some hiking instead, so no matter what, it's a win-win situation.

Anyway, I could explain over and over again how epic it will be, but I could be wrong, and that's better for an after the fact post. So, me being a fitness dude, will talk about the fitness aspect of canoeing!

If you have ever gone canoeing, you know know it will work your back. Makes sense too, 'rowing' exercises work the back. What do you do when you canoe? You paddle. Paddling is pretty much a row. When you canoe, you also move the lower back a lot. This is like a dead lift. After all, you don't get much of a lower back workout with you do a pull up or row. You do when you do dead lifts and canoeing.

The bad side of canoeing. It's likely that the average canoeing person isn't strong or flexible enough to keep a straight back while canoeing. People tend to bend their back, which puts extra strain on the spine. I had a little bit of not-so-good soreness last year. This year, my back is much stronger, and I believe I'm more flexible. So I'll try and keep good posture for most of the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment