Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Shall I Train Like a German?

So, I've been doing some research on high volume/light weight training. Heavy weight builds more muscle and power, which I want... but light weight has a much lower chance of injury, and with the weights I have at home, I can't go heavy on things like squats and dead lifts. So what did I find while researching? A German training plan, called: German Volume Training.

It uses pretty light weights. The reps and sets are 10x10 with a rest time of 30-90 seconds per set. That's pretty light weight to do all those reps. Actually, part of the plan is pick a slightly too heavy weight and not complete all the reps, keep track of all my reps and sets, and then once I can do 10x10, then increase the weight by 5% and repeat the process.

I've read up on it, and this plan is supposed to help burn fat and put on a lot of muscle, granted if you eat and rest right. Some of the reviews of GVT (German Volume Training) said that they "Put on 11 pounds in muscle in 6 weeks!" or "One test subject put on 28 pounds in 11 weeks!". These are obviously fake, or the test subjects put on a ton of fat or used steroids. Because, it's only naturally possible to put on 1-3 pounds of muscle per month. Also, imagine putting on that much weight in 2-3 months. You'd get major stretch marks and I doubt it'd be great on the heart. I saw some more realistic reviews, like: "10 pounds in 12 weeks!" Still, unlikely, but much more realistic. I doubt I'll put on 10 pounds of muscle if I train this way over the summer. I only gained 8-10 pounds from last year, so I doubt I'll gain much more over the summer... but who knows! I actually wasn't training that well last year. I just got 'beginners gains'. Which pretty much means: no matter how you lift, you gain something.

I will more likely gain around 5 pounds with GVT. Over the summer I also plan on running and biking a lot, so I'll probably lose some fat. It will seem like no weight gains, but probably I'll still see some good muscle and strength gains.

Anyway, I'm going to try GVT with a bunch of exercises, and taper off the ones that don't seem to work. If exercises like dead lifts feel unsafe, I might just stick to 3x8-16 or 5x4-6 for those. I'll probably start off with a really light weight on most exercises, just so I can make sure my form is good and I can progressively add weights.

I'm not sure if you remember my post saying that legs usually respond best to 15-25 rep range (light weight for most exercises). Well, doing 10x10 should be a killer leg workout, because it's similar to light weight: high volume! I have a feeling they will respond well and gain strength, which will be very helpful in soccer!

No comments:

Post a Comment