Thursday, October 13, 2011

Camden Hills

Yesterday afternoon my soccer team played against the best Maine class B soccer team: Camden Hills. My team doesn't have the best record, but has improved immensely over this season. We lost most of our games before we played Camden Hills, so they were probably expecting an easy win with a high score. We didn't let that happen. We probably played the best we've ever played. We made Camden Hills work. They were obviously more skilled and some of them more fit than us, but we still fought hard and were getting on their nerves. At half time the score was 0-1, Camden Hills. That was pretty good for a team with our record against a team who hasn't even lost yet. Over all my team played very well and held them at 0-1 for awhile, then then eventually scored again. After that goal we took out our starting goalie because he was also extremely good at offense. When he was subbed out they scored again. Once he was put back in as forward, we generated a bunch of offense. We actually had more offense in the end than Camden Hills! But we couldn't finish, so the game ended with a score of 0-3.

I heard my coach talking to someone about how the Camden Hill coach said that we made them work harder than a lot of the teams they played against. Which says alot with our record.

During the game I did something I never did before: a bike save. Our goalie challenged a played and prevented him from scoring, but he did not get control of the ball and it bounced out to another on the Camden team and he took a weak shot because it had a weird spin on it. Ben (our best defender and sweeper) and I ran after the ball. I got there first, but was too late to turn and clear it. I could have tried heading it, but chances were I would head it into our own goal. So I attempted a bike (a bike is kind of like a back flip while kicking the ball, except you usually don't land it, which I didn't.). Luckily, it worked! I didn't hit the ball hard, but it went to Ben who turn and cleared it!

On another note, a not so good note, my hamstring was killing me with 30 minutes left in the game. I knew the feeling. I pulled it last year, and hamstrings never quite heal... so it being a cold day and me playing almost the entire game made my hamstring act up again. I was barely able to run by the end of the game it hurt so bad. I still played because coach needed me to, but it sure didn't feel good. Right now my hamstring is feeling a bit better (I can walk without a limp) and I'm hoping it stays that way (or gets better) for tomorrow's senior night!

No comments:

Post a Comment