Monday, October 31, 2011

Dad's Birthday and the Weather's "Trick"

Last Saturday was my dad's 50th birthday! Colleen and Mom planned a mini surprise party for him (it was a surprise for everyone, because we didn't know who was coming and who wasn't)! The first person to show up was our pastor: Per. He heard that Dad liked chocolate, so he wanted to get him something unique. He sure did. It was chocolate wine. I never heard of it, but Dad let me take a sip of it, and it actually wasn't that bad! That's saying a lot because I really don't like the flavor of wine, and chocolate wine just sounded weird. In a little while our neighbors (the Belangers) showed up and brought in this awesome chocolate cake. We all talked for a bit and then the Kidds showed up and after a little bit more talked everyone but the Kidd kids left and the girls and Darby started raking our yard while Dad, Kevin and I got dirt to fill in the end of our driveway.

After we got a few loads of dirt we spread it out and then Dad let me 'pack down' the dirt with the van. By this time the girls and Darby were about 2/3s done their raking and Kevin and I joined in.

It was becoming dusk when we finished all of our raking. It was getting quite chilly so we all went in and had some hot chocolate. We decided that all the girls would be going to the Richards for this dinner thing with a huge family. All of us guys (Darby, Kevin, Dad and I) went to Longhorn Steakhouse for supper. We had to wait a bit because it was full so we went to Best Buy and looked at different things there.

It was a little over 15 minutes when we headed back to Longhorn and were seated. I was super pumped because I was going to get some ribs. I love ribs! They're so yummy! Ah. I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.....

After some laughs and great food we went outside to leave and go play some pool at a local pool place. That's when the weather played it's 'trick' on us. It was snowing. I mean really, snowing in October! I guess that's the weathers Halloween trick!

Anyway, we played some pool, Dad and Darby vs. Kevin and I. The first game Kevin had an unlucky bounce which barely let the 8 ball roll in a pocket too early, thus making Dad and Darby win. The next game was much closer. I felt bad for Darby though, he hadn't sunk a single ball yet. As the game went in Kevin and I only had one or two balls left while Darby and Dad had the 8 ball left. It was Darby's turn to go, and the Que ball was on the opposite side of the table of the 8 ball. Darby hits the Que ball, making it slowly roll across the table, and actually hit the 8 ball, which rolled even slower into the corner pocket! That made Darby's day, and I'm pretty sure made everyone else's day!

When we finished with pool, we brought Kevin and Darby home, and waited for the rest of the Kidd family to show up and unlock their door. When they did show up, I decided to start my first snowball fight of the season! It was me vs. the Kidd kids. Let's just say years of baseball and dodging random objects for years gave me the upper hand... and I was only hit twice, while I had at least 10 hits. It was a short fight, but was an awesome fight. I love snowball fights!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a ton of fun! I love snowball fights too!!! I had one with my dad and jen and lindsey around midnight on saturday! except i was the only one outside and they were shooting me from 2nd story windows while i was throwing them in the windows!

    ReplyDelete