Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blazing Wild Wings!

Last week was my last week working with Richard on the Grocery Lister web app. Thursday day night Richard and his family took me out to Buffalo Wild Wings. Ever since I heard of the Buffalo Wild Wing Challenge, I wanted to do it. I thought I could probably handle it pretty easily... but then I read a few reviews about the challenge. Then I knew it would a serious challenge. Some guy got a blister on his thumb from the sauce. They sauce was rated very hot, like 60 times hotter than a jalapeƱo pepper, or about as hot as liquified habanero. Now you may think that a liquified habanero isn't that bad. After all, habanero hot sauce isn't that bad, but habanero hot sauce has vinegar in it. Vinegar weakens spiciness. So in actuality, habanero hot sauce isn't as hot as a habanero.

So I had some pretty big doubts about beating the challenge. Eating 12 of those wings in 6 minutes was going going to be a very hard challenge.

Now let's go to the actual eating of wings! My first bite was spicy, but I could handle it. Then, I realized, this was a really good tasting sauce! So the first three were super easy. I was enjoying it. After the third one the burn really kicked it. My mouth, hands, and lips were on fire! Naturally, My vision started to blur with tears. That's normal. Then I thought to myself: "if this just burns more, this is going to be easy!"

I was wrong. That was not all. By the time I was on number 7, my vision blurred more. It felt like my eye lids were swelling. The burn didn't stop at all. It just kept getting worse. When I was finishing the 7th wing, I felt this strange tingle through my arms up to my neck. It was kind of like that feeling you get when you sit on your foot too long, your foot falls asleep and then the weird tingle sets in. I thought I could handle that too. But after my 8th one, it was fully body. That includes the head. I was getting light headed. I was 2/3 there! So I couldn't give up. I continued. The ninth made me cough. Have you ever had bronchitis? The cough is just terrible! But it felt like nothing compared to that cough. It literally felt like I swallowed fire, and then coughed up it's coals. So then I concentrated on not coughing. That slowed down my eating. I only had a tad over 1 minute left. I ate the 9th, then the 10th. I bit into the 11th, and then I could feel my body about to throw up everything I just ate. I held it in. The tingle had gotten bad enough that my hands were kind of going numb, and my vision was so blurry I could barely see the last 2 wings I took another bite. The vomiting feeling came again. I held it, but I knew I couldn't eat anymore. I only had about 25 seconds left anyway. I lost the challenge. Now that I gave up, I was allowed to use a napkin. The numbness started to fade, so my entire face and hands left like fire. I almost wiped my eyes, but then I remembered the warning that the sauce could cause blindness...so I decided to wait.

I then drank 2 tall glasses of milk, and two glasses of water. The burn continued for at least another hour, but it wasn't nearly as bad.my hands continued to burn until around 2am, then they occasionally burned the next day.

Before we left Wild Wings, I tried one of their 'second hottest wing'. It was nothing compared to the Blazin' Wild Wings.

The next day I had some other side effects... let's just say it felt like I sat on a stove.

Hope this post didn't gross you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment