Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Oh, Sugar Sugar!

So, as many of you reading may know, I have a weak immune system, thus I get sick pretty often. But I did find that whenever I stay up late (as in 12:00 on...), I seem to have a much higher chance of getting sick. Another thing that seems to aid me in getting sick is sugar. Both of which make sense. Throwing your body's sleep pattern off (especially if you're athlete) isn't good for you.

Of course, something everyone loves is another thing that aids viruses: sugar. I LOVE sugar! It tastes awesome(not plain, mind you). It's an easy way to make bland foods yummy. I love sugar for the first few hours after eating it (the taste, then a little sugar rush), but later I strongly dislike it. First I crash a little. Being tired isn't fun, unless you're over tired. Sugar isn't that grand for working out either, well, at least the processed sugar is, which is what we usually call sugar. Too much sugar gives you fat. Fat is like the anti-fitness. It slows you down, is bad for posture, and some other not-so-desirable things. Now, you can burn fat by dieting, doing and with a mix of resistance exercise (weights), so that's all good if you do all that. It still would be better to replace sugar with fruits, vegetables, and protein, no matter how much cardio you do.

That's all bad and all, but the thing that really gets me is the getting sick part. Sugar pretty much feeds colds and viruses. Lack of sleep weakens you're immune system, and sugar strengthens the cold trying to beat your immune system! It's a pretty bad combo. Sadly that's usually what we involve in a party: staying up late and eating unhealthy foods.

So now you can probably see why I'm trying to go on a nearly sugarless 'diet'. Because having a weak immune system, eating sugar, and losing some sleep usually ends with me getting sick. I really don't like being sick, and I don't think sugar is worth it... so there you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment