Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Workout Equipment

 Ever since I joined track I had a want to become faster and stronger. Because I'm a sprinter I wanted to build fast twitch muscle fibers. Fast twitch muscle fibers help you run faster, but not for long distance, which is what I want. The main way to build fast twitch fibers is heavy weights, sprinting, plyometric workouts and resistance training.

In case you don't know what resistance training is, it is a way to give you a resistance while doing a workout. For example I have this weighted vest, which gives me a resistance of up to 40 pounds when I'm running. It is also good for doing pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups or some other body weight workouts (such as plyometric). The added weight is nice because push-ups and pull-ups have been becoming a cardio workout before I bought it. Now they are more like a fast twitch muscle fiber workout.

Lifting weights is also very good for getting faster. Not just any weights though. Heavy weights. Light weights tone muscle, while heavy weights build muscle. I was given two 20 pound dumbbells 2-3 years ago. When I was given them they were a great workout! I could only curl them about 10 times and shoulder press them 15 times. Now I could do either of them for a long time without getting that tired. If I lifted them for a long time for a while (like a month), I would have had very toned muscles, but not that strong muscles. Because of that, I put the weights together and curl them about 5 times. Because it's a little hard to grip, I don't trust myself doing a shoulder press. Which is alright, but it would be nice to be able to add weight without getting new weights, because they cost alot and take up alot of space. It would be even better if I could use them with weights and with body weight workouts. The weighted vest just adds weight to my chest and torso, while if I get ankle/wrist weights I could do shoulder press with more weight, safely. I also could put them on my ankles and do leg lifts and other leg and ab workouts. They would be extremely helpful in plyometric workouts as well.

Last but not least: hand grippers. I have built some pretty good muscle in my arms and legs over the years, but I never could really work on my grip and wrist strength. I have a homemade forearm roller, but that doesn't seem to build alot of wrist or grip strength. Granted it makes them a little stronger, but that's because it mainly builds forearm strength. My hand in its self isn't very strong and neither are my fingers or wrist. You might say: "Why do you want to strengthen your wrist and grip if you are mainly working out for track?" I would answer you with: "Grip and wrist strength help me lift weights, help me in my day to day stuff and they would help with my starts."

They help with lifting weights when you get to heavy weights. You need to grip the weights, and if your grip is too weak, you might not get a good workout. Or you might drop the weights, which could cause injury or damage to your surroundings. The wrist is important as well. When lifting weights, you could bend you wrist too much due to weak wrists and then pull, pinch, or strain you tendons. That would disable you from lifting. By the time you heal you probably would have lost all that you gained.

Both grip and wrist strength help you in your daily life: Grabbing something heavy or awkward shaped, shoveling dirt, weeding your garden, working out, writing, typing, etc...

Hand strength and wrist strength help you with sprinting, believe it or not. In track sprints you start in blocks. If you ask why? I say because it's faster. The way to get the most out of your start is by being straight as possible, having your legs in the right positions, being able to explode out, and being as close to your 'drive' position as possible. Stand up starts don't give you the drive or explosion, so that's why blocks are faster. The problem with block starts is if your hands are flat to the ground you aren't driving straight, but a little downwards. That is a little slower than with your hands being in an arch position. You need some good hand strength to hold that arch position because the starter guy says  to you and the other runners: "Runners to your marks (go to you blocks and do some last minute warm ups), get ready (get in your blocks, relaxed), set (get tense, arch your hands, and don't move or you have to restart the whole process. Sometimes he waits for almost 10 seconds,which is why you need hand strength)". Then he fires the gun and you run.

No comments:

Post a Comment