Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cool Exercises

Once my shoulder heals up I want to learn some 'cool' exercises. Luckily, my shoulder already feels fine, but I'm going to rest at least another week just to be safe. I already told you I wanted to learn the Planche and Lever. I've realized that those are going to be extremely hard. They probably will take me more then 6 months to get down. So, I want something I can work on that won't take as long so I won't get bored. I've added a few big weight exercises to gain some over all strength, but the cool exercises I want to learn are the one hand pushup, the one hand pull up/chin up and the pistol squat.

The main thing I have to work on for the one arm chin up is weighted chin ups. Because if you think about it, I'd be chinning 160 pounds per arm. Right now I'm chinning about 80 per arm (normal pull ups). I can do 20-30 pull ups this way, but I can't chin up much extra weight. I can barely chin 20 extra pounds for 5 reps for 5 sets. I also have to work on my grip: Last time I got into pull ups I got tendonitis from the grip. As you can see, this may take me around 6 months as well!

One arm pushups. These are much easier than one arm pull ups! I can actually do a few with a really wide leg stance. I don't really consider that a real one arm pushup. Almost any guy (or girl) who can do 30 pushups and lifts can do a wide leg one arm pushup. I want to get to the point where my feet are shoulder width apart. I'll be doing diamond pushups, weighted pushups and other pushup variations to work on my one arm pushup. I'll also do some core that consternates on my balance when only on three limbs.

Now, the pistol squat. What is a pistol squat? It's a squat, but with one leg. I'm pretty sure I have the strength for this (when I was squatting with the smith-machine I could squat around 300 pounds), but I need to work on my balance and the lowest part of the squat. Balance is key, because you're only on one limb. I read that there is a muscle transfer at the bottom of the squat that transfers the weight from your quad to your hamstring. Hence why the bottom part of the squat is the hardest. I may have to wait to work on this until track is over. My legs always seem tired from track and I don't want to over train them and get slower times in my runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment